Thursday, November 11, 2004

Wounded Veteran Works As Advocate For Soldiers (11/11/04)

Wounded Veteran Works As Advocate For Soldiers
B.J. Jackson On Crusade To Aid Wounded Veterans
POSTED: 5:40 PM CST November 11, 2004
UPDATED: 6:50 PM CST November 11, 2004
http://www.theiowachannel.com/news/3912491/detail.html


DES MOINES, Iowa -- Just this week, 18 American soldiers have been killed in the battle for Fallujah. Dozens more have been injured.


About a year after his injury in Iraq, Spc. B.J. Jackson, of Des Moines, is sharing his experiences to help other injured soldiers.

"I've lost my voice," Jackson told KCCI's Eric Hanson. "I've been pretty busy this week."

Jackson has already been in New York, Washington, and Orlando this week, but it's been just as busy in Iraq.

"It's gotta be a tough time for them ... they keep driving on and getting the mission done. It's just wonderful," Jackson said.

Dozens of soldiers in Iraq have been injured and Jackson has become an expert -- and an advocate -- because he's been there.

"You gotta wake up every day and say, 'I love my job. I love what I'm doing. We're making a difference,' and just know the general public here really supports you," Jackson said.

The double-amputee shared his experiences with wounded soldiers and his story with financial supporters.

He's raising money to help injured veterans work through the shock of readjusting to life after the war, and the job is getting bigger every day.

"So, I'm stepping up on behalf of people that want to say, 'We know what you've been through,' and on behalf of the veterans, saying 'I've been there; I've done that,'" Jackson said.

His project will bring together wounded soldiers next month in Florida. If you want to help him, check out his Web site.

By donating frequent flier miles, money or other support, you can help the wounded vet support his fellow soldiers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home