Monday, December 06, 2004

Young Iraq war veterans dealing with injuries with grace and courage (12/1/04) Transcript

Profile: Young Iraq war veterans dealing with injuries with grace and courage
NTLN000020041202e0c10000b
915 Words
01 December 2004
NBC News: Nightly News
English
(c) Copyright 2004, National Broadcasting Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
TOM BROKAW, anchor:

We have more tonight on the war in Iraq. This time, the human toll. We often report on the Americans killed. They now number 1,252 since the start of the war. But not always mentioned are the wounded, more than 9500 in all. About a year ago, NBC's Brian Williams met some of them at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington. This week, Brian went back to meet more of America's bravely wounded who are in many ways learning how to live all over again.


WILLIAMS: Doc, real name Joe, is all of 22 and remembers the day, remembers the convoy, that changed his world forever.

Mr. WORLEY: The day I got injured was on September 17th, and like I said, we had roughly a week or so left.

WILLIAMS: Doc Worley was with a Marine platoon in Fallujah when a vehicle in front of his was blown up.

Mr. WORLEY: It broke my heart. It broke my heart when--when I heard it. You just, I mean, you just--we were facing the other way looking behind us, and I just hear booom, and I was like...

WILLIAMS: He grabbed his medical bag, ran a few yards and was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade. It did not explode but took off his left leg. He was then shot six times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home